- Online Booking Service
- News and Events
- Music, Choir and Organ
- The Priory in the Community
- Mothers' Union
- Photo Galleries
- Priory Gift and Book Shop
- 2011: Easter and Royal Wedding
- Priory Youth Group
Welcome : Bienvenue : Willkommen : Bem Venidos : Benvenuto : Bienvenidos : Croeso: Welkom : Witajcie : Valkommen : Velkommen : Yokoso
'One of England's Greater Churches'
|A Welcoming, Inclusive
Christian Community, Serving God's People in Lancaster
|Music: Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G, Movement I (Allegro), BWV 1049 Performed by Kevin Mcleod incompetech.com Video: www.gorgeousmedia.co.uk
The Priory Seal
The Priory and Parish Church of St Mary, Lancaster: Lancaster Priory as it is more commonly known - overlooks the centre of Lancaster. It is situated adjacent to Lancaster Castle in a conservation area with stunning views across Morecambe Bay to the Lakeland Hills.
The church is a Grade 1 listed building, located on a site which has seen Christian worship since Saxon times. The carved choir stalls with their misericords are nationally famous. It is one of the most frequently visited parish churches in the North West, and particularly during the summer months, we welcome many visitors to our services.
congregations are full of lively committed and faithful
weekly Priory Eucharist has a usual attendance of 150
50 young people between the choir and Sunday groups. The
recently received a 'Child Friendly Church' award and a 'Marque of Excellence' awarded by the North-West Multi-Faith Tourism Association in recognition of Lancaster Priory's ministry of welcome to visitors.
There are frequently a
number of visitors
attending the Priory Eucharist - visitors and tourists from
all over the
world. The fine choral singing and strong preaching
people from the surrounding north Lancashire area, either as
members of the congregation or as frequent visitors. There
are 162 names
on the electoral roll, and the parish population is about
At St George's, meeting with a shared agreement at St Thomas More's RC church on the Marsh housing area, a congregation of 25 worship at the Eucharist or Morning Service at 11 am on Sunday. Lay people lead the intercessions and read, share in the distribution of communion, act as deacon and sub-deacon and provide a caring welcome.
St John the Evangelist is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust and is a product of Lancaster's prosperous past, built in 1754-55 when the congregation of the nearby Priory church became too large. The Georgian tower was added in 1784. Lancaster's port on the River Lune was thriving, the population was growing and the interior of the church reflects this. There are galleries and numbered box pews. The church is full of polished wood and rich colours. Although services have been held infrequently in previous years, following the success of lunchtime services held during Lent 2011, it has been decided that these will continue for the foreseeable future.
Please spend some time exploring our website. Clicking on the menu bar on the left hand side of each page will enable you to find out more about us.
For all website contributions and news:
© 2013 The Priory Church of St Mary, Lancaster